Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Lenten Resolutions

          “Even now, says the Lord, return to me with your whole heart…  Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the Lord, your God.”  (Joel) 
            And so we begin the liturgical season of Lent.  When I think of this “penitential” time of year in the Catholic world, I think of giving up candy as a kid.  (Boy, was it hard!)  Then came the negotiating of whether Sundays counted as part of Lent, and if the ultimate penance could be broken for a day.  When I think of penance, it sounds like I am imposing something difficult on myself.  This can be good for self-discipline, but I’ve also wondered if there’s a gentler way of returning to the heart of what it means to be Catholic?
            As a former novice in religious life, I continue to be enlightened by the psalms to “sing a new song.”  (see Psalm 96)  How can we renew our “song” as Catholics?  What is our attitude in prayer?  How are we living out our Catholic faith? 
            Lent is a great time to refresh and begin anew.  As St. Francis de Sales says, “Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them - every day begin the task anew.” 
Now is the time to start afresh, and I encourage you to walk through Lent as a journey with Christ and His Blessed Mother, whether in His gospel ministry in the daily readings at Mass or on His walk towards Cavalry with His self-gift on the cross.
God be Praised! 
To read more articles by Jennifer Mendenhall, visit her blog at

in-the-presence-of-god.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment