Sunday, March 10, 2019

Levels of Lenten Practices


                We have now reached the 1st Week of Lent, and I wonder if during these first four days (from Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent, to now), we have been able to remain firm in what we have given up or added while crossing this figurative desert?  In the gospel today, Jesus Himself was tempted by the devil. 
                What pokes and pries at the resolutions we have so boldly chosen to make? 
                Sometimes, the things we choose to do for Lent give us a feeling of heroism.  Either we are walking valiantly (and maybe with pride in that respect) or we are crawling with surprise at what we have chosen to do.
                For me personally, I found it difficult to even decide on a resolution.  My current state of health so quickly contradicts my usual ideas to do more spiritual reading, longer devotionals, or a newer aspiration I’ve had, of visiting the sick.  There is nothing wrong with these intentions, but God does not shame us for being unable to do for the sake of personal growth and love for God. 
                But I recall how St. Therese, my little friend, sees the best things to be the hidden ones.  They are like a secret between two lovers, only you and Jesus know what great lengths it took, and yet how can lay it before Him with one innocent gaze into the eyes that notice.
                For example, it can be so easy for me to be down about my situation.  But I have found it now only helpful for myself, but a joy to others when I spare myself some relief by deciding to write a letter to a distant friend or relative.  Or, if I’m able to at the time, make some cookies and share them with a friend.  Oh no, I’ve given some of my precious deeds away!  Well, now you know!
                The desert comes in different forms and demands.  Extravagant or with a call to be creative.  Maybe Sundays can become a special day to pause and reflect on how these resolutions are going.  Keep going!  God sees.


No comments:

Post a Comment