Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Our Lady of Sorrows

We just had a feast dedicated to Our Lady, and her Seven Sorrows.  Though I myself have had to renew my devotion to her (I struggle to get through a rosary on my own), I find something very special about this title.  While in religious life, I also considered her as “Our Lady of Fidelity,” as she was so faithful to her Son, divinely conceived at the Annunciation. 

More recently, I have added amidst my devotion to her the title of “Our Lady, Undoer of Knots,” which Pope Francis so devoutly revealed to the world at the beginning of his papacy.  I even went so far as purchasing a 9” statue for my little shrine at home.  I find in her a heavenly mother who looks upon each of my difficulties, and those of each person, with such care and intercession. 

But I have also learned that she is able to care for us because of her relating to our own sorrows.  Did she not follow her Son to Calvary?  Did she not hold His Body with a broken heart- - no!  a pierced heart- in her arms?  I cannot imagine the grief she must have been torn by. 

The prophet Simeon had told Mary, from the beginning, that a sword would pierce her heart.  And she did not run from it.  She pondered all these things in her heart, did she not? 

                I hope I am not “preaching to the choir,” but I found all these things about Our Lady and her motherly care to be so incredible, as I prayed different devotions to her throughout this holy feast day.  Let us pray that we too may be faithful, and ever remember that we are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment