Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Finding God in L.A.

            My parents and I took a trip to Los Angeles to pick up my sister at the airport.  I had been looking forward to it with enthusiasm, as I wanted to start this series of a quest to Finding God in the big, secular city. 
            Anticipating this excursion, I pondered how Our Creator can be found amidst the hustle and bustle.  Would I only find Him when on my knees?
            As expected, Highway 405 traffic was very heavy.  10 AM and still slowed up!  The occasional, angry, car horns gave me some anxiety from the backseat, but I managed.  Daring locals cut each other off, whether on the highway or in town.
            The houses were large and expensive.  I wondered if these “rich people” had generous hearts toward those in need?
            After picking up my sister at LAX, we headed over to Santa Monica, a touristy area by the beach.  Walking along the sidewalk above the sandy beach, I saw that only hearts can be touched if we let God into our lives.  Some people dressed in clingy fashion statements, or played blaring, loud music as we passed.             
            Though kneeling shows reverence in appropriate places like the cathedral (which I regret being unable to see in LA since it was twenty miles out of our way), I knew that God could be seen everywhere.  The tiniest flower blossoming along the walk or in the eyes of a lonely bystander brings Him to light in our hearts and in our minds. 

            God can be found everywhere, if we only let Him in- even in a crazy city like Los Angeles!

No comments:

Post a Comment