Thursday, July 20, 2017

“God is Love”

I’ve been reading a wonderful, spiritual book by Brother Lawrence called The Practice of the Presence of God.  It is written in little sections by him and his friend Joseph de Beaufort.  In the “Second Conversation,” the latter writes of how Br. Lawrence did everything out of love for God.  I have read about such intentions from commentators on the life of St. Therese of Lisieux.  Both brother and nun had similar ambitions, even when they received no love in return from their neighbor.
Inspired by these witnesses of God’s Love, I too desire to follow this way of life.  My reading of spiritual books has taught me that, where there is love, God is present; because “God is love.” (cf. 1 John 4:8)  I can glimpse Who He is every time I choose to act in this way. 
Being human and still disciplining myself, I find that it is easy to let these opportunities slip by.  For example, by passing someone without saying hello.  There goes my chance to love, let alone to see Jesus in my neighbor!  But I still persist in this quest to be “love in the Heart of the Church” (paraphrase), as St. Therese puts it so beautifully. 
Can I bring love to others?  Not the romantic type of love, but the caring, compassion of Jesus? 
Live Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment