Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Going Beyond Ourselves

In today’s gospel (Tuesday), Jesus calls us to go beyond ourselves.  It is so easy to do what is... easy, like pay a tithe at church or stay amidst our friends.  But what do we do when we see a homeless person?  It’s not always the safest thing to approach them (some are involved in alcohol and drugs), but are we generous with our time? 

It is time we went outside ourselves as Our Lord calls us to.  “What you did for one of the least of my brothers, you did unto me” (paraphrase).  Do we approach the lonely or offer empathy to the suffering?  Maybe you already do these things, and God will reward you for it!  But let this “refresher” be part of our examination of conscience today: did I help the least of these?  Did I go beyond myself, live up to the name of Christian?

No comments:

Post a Comment